Clicking on the Right Ecommerce Platform!
A comparative analysis – BigCommerce, Magento, WooCommerce and Shopify.
Building an intuitive and successful Ecommerce website is no child’s play – it involves its share of sweat, blood, tears and moments of indecision. One biggest decision is to choose the Ecommerce platform that would closely fit your requirements.
We have analyzed a few of the popular Ecommerce platforms – Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce and Bigcommerce to help you in your quest to find the best fit for your business.
We will start with Shopify, which is among the most popular ecommerce platforms due to its simple setup, quick loading speed and secure payment gateways, as well as customizable templates for all the landing web-pages. Shopify also allows custom Meta tags, auto-generated XML sitemap with better-quality customer support for helping B2B store owners with quick and handy chat, email or phone facilities.
Price- Different plans of $9, $29, $79, $179 every month.
- Over 100 professional themes.
- Highly functional website builder.
- Mobile-friendly online stores.
- Facilitates easy editing of HTML and CSS.
- Allows you to connect to your own domain name.
- Complete blogging platform available.
- Digital marketing and SEO optimized (e-mail marketing, social media integration, discounts and product reviews).
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Comprehensive website analytics.
- Shopify provides free hosting facility to its users! All you need to do is get an account and develop your portal.
- Comes with several SEO options and social media links that might assist you with your product and website marketing.
- The admin area interface is extremely contemporary, spontaneous and user-friendly.
Cons- Shopify does not provide over three default product features. Each product in the store will be defined through its material, size and color. Users can add several options for all of these parameters, but you cannot create the new ones.
Preferred Audience- Shopify is an excellent option for Ecommerce startups. It is easy for the beginners to develop an aesthetically attractive store whereas the more experienced users can avail benefits of the huge number of options and settings which Shopify offers.
User-Friendliness- Shopify is a simplified way to develop an online store. All you need to do is create an account, choose a free theme and customize the design. Just follow the instructions, add more products and its details and then choose your favorite options. Making your online store functional is actually very straight and simple. Shopify works in a much better way in this area if compared to Magento or any other top ecommerce platforms.
Magento is an open-source platform, owned by the eBay group. It is one of the fastest growing platforms with cutting-edge solutions for entrepreneurs seeking success in the Ecommerce space. Magento has a huge community of developers who contribute all-inclusive features for your online stores for making it outshine compared to other ecommerce platforms.
Price- Free and Paid version – $18,000 per year.
- Responsive structure, pre-integrated on Android, iPhone, iPad and mobile HTML5.
- Automated email marketing reminder.
- Completely customizable design and making use of templates.
- Customer fragmentation, targeted marketing and merchandising facilities available.
- Comes with private sales feature that confine catalog to certain customers.
- Multiple wish lists.
- Integrated CMS.
- Polls and customer groups.
- Infinite product attributes.
- It has a professional look, with systematic information and categories that cover every aspect which could assist you develop an ideal online store.
- Magento comes with an extremely exhaustive content and data. Each category offers numerous options which will end-up creating a professional and winning website.
- It does not have an extremely user-friendly layout and it takes several steps to customize the settings.
- Its premium plan is extremely expensive.
Preferred Audience- Magento unquestionably offers some complex settings and options to commence and grow a huge business. If you require it for big companies and corporate houses then, it will surely assist you create a unique online store, having the entire list checked.
• User-Friendliness- It might take some time to get acquainted with Magento’s design as it has been created in an old school-way. Managing Magento’s admin area might be slightly tough at the beginning and a big problem for individuals that are not acquainted with this type of work. All-in-all, when compared to Shopify or other top ecommerce platforms, Magento comes with an intricate and not-so-friendly front-end and takes some time to uncover all its features. But for advanced teach-savvy users, it offers numerous amazing facilities required while building a massive online store.
WooCommerce is basically a free WordPress plugin in which you get all the benefits connected with developing a WordPress based website. Simple to install but includes a fee if you require complete WooCommerce integration as an operational shopping cart. Fully customizable platform having a unique shopping cart and payment gateway features.
Price- On the basis of the plan- free WordPress plugin.
- Packaged with top and safe payment gateways such as PayPal, Cash on Delivery (COD) and BACS.
- Configure the tax settings along with tax classes and local tax rates.
- Alternatives for users to provide free shipping or flat rate shipping facilities.
- Reporting on inventory levels, incoming sales, reviews and general store performance.
- Marketing projects (product/user restrictions, discount options, usage limits and more).
- Developed as a WordPress plugin & available with your website’s wp-admin.
- WooCommerce comes with user reviews & ratings. Clients can effortlessly vote each product through adding ratings to their comments.
- The reporting feature of WooCommerce is a blessing. It cautiously filters certain categories by product, coupons by date, sale by date, by product and much more.
- It is a free plugin and all you require doing is to download it and commence adding the products straight from your WordPress dashboard.
- Although WordPress is free, it does not come along with free hosting facility therefore, you require paying for it individually.
- You need to download and instal this plugin on your WordPress website.
Preferred Audience- Individuals that work a lot with the WordPress platform can incredibly benefit from this plugin. If you already have a WordPress website then, you can immediately start by installing WooCommerce.
User-Friendliness- This plugin is a simple option once you get it installed on your WordPress website. Users can customize everything through their dashboard, assess it and modify all the options until they are contented with the outcomes. The plugin works efficiently, offers accommodating features and is absolutely user-friendly. When compared to Shopify or the other top ecommerce platforms on this list, WooCommerce appears to be a great option.
BigCommerce is quite identical to Shopify, but with the addition of extra built-in features, unlimited bandwidth and storage. It also comes up with exceptional Ecommerce features such as ratings, gift cards, reviews and fundamental marketing tools to provide your online store an exceptional look and feel.
Price- Plans ranging from- $29.95, $79.95, $199.95.
- Mobile-friendly & SEO-friendly online stores.
- Integrated marketing attributes.
- Multiple design choices- customizable CSS/HTML, themes and point-and-click tools.
- Incorporation with numerous pioneering marketing, accounting and stock management systems.
- Users can connect their own domain name.
- Integrated reports and payment gateways.
- Its admin page is extremely user-friendly and can direct you perfectly with each step. It has an integrated drag-and-drop builder that makes using it extremely handier.
- BigCommerce comes along with free hosting and a massive assortment of themes, both premium and free. It offers its users with the option to code their own theme directly on their website in a special HTML/CSS editor. Therefore, if the users are excellent at coding, you can customize your design.
- The customer’s database offers numerous data about each client. Therefore, users can get to know their audience perfectly.
Preferred Audience- Regardless of BigCommerce’s exceptional features and welcoming layout does not provide a free or cheap-entry plan.
User-Friendliness- This can be an ideal choice for big companies as the platform works competently on the big installs. It has Magento’s intricacy if we speak of settings and features, but they are displayed in an extremely friendly manner. It has a contemporary design and an extremely friendly admin page and must be reasonably simple to develop a shop with Bigcommerce that makes it a high-quality overall alternative compared to Shopify and many other ecommerce platforms on the list.
There are numerous ecommerce platforms out there which can assist users fulfill each vertical you desire your online B2B market place to cover. It is a known fact that there is no “one-size-fits-all” ecommerce platform available on the market. Each platform had been built to accommodate only few pre-assumed business requirements and objectives. But, if the users stay practical with their explicit online storefront requirements, there is undoubtedly one of these four which might be the perfect fit for you.
Picking an ideal ecommerce platform boils down to outlining your vision for the type of online B2B store you require today while envisioning how those necessities might change in few years as your business grows.